Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Final Designs Printed and Embroidered

Finally after a stressful 8 weeks I have managed to do a collection of finished designs, using digital print, screen print and hand painting as my base techniques. On top I have added embroidery, machine embroidery, beading and metallic foils.

I feel they all work really well and work well together. Personally my favourite ones are the orange fox print, the swan print and my modified floral print. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did to make them.

Using reactive dye pigment with metallic foil and hand embroidery/beading

Discharge print, with hand satin stitch embroidery

Discharge print with machine embroidery and applique, as well as beading and metallic foil

Digitally printed with hand embroidery and beading

Digitally printed with hand embroidery and beading

Final Painted Designs

After doing my Black and White development I then went onto painting out the placements so I would know what colours to use when it came to digitally printing and embroidering.

Development for Designs

Below are the development sheets for my designs, I used balck and white photocopies of my drawings to play around with composition, and decided on 5 final designs, 3 being placement designs. All 3 being unique and different but work togeather. The other 2 are multi directional repeats which I had just learnt so I triend it on 2 designs and I feel they work really well and aid the placement designs.

Multi directional repeat; black and whitle layout and traced ready for screen exposure.

Multi directional repeat; black and whitle layout and traced ready for screen exposure.

Black and White placemet, with tracing ready for exposure and a print sample of the design using discharge and steaming for 30mins after.

Black and White placeent, tracing over the top to hep alter the original design, digital print samples down the side and on top, both different as I altered the original design on photoshop to take out the figure in the middle.

Black and White placement, with photocopy to use transfer inks to do with the heat press, unfortunatly that technique did not work. Digital print samples down the side.

Drawings For 'Ballet Girl'

With all my research i gatherd it togeather to create my mood board, which will give me inspiration throughout aswell as a colour board and a market board, the last two to help me with my final designs.

From my research I have managed to produce a range of drawings, that hopefully I can take through to development! With these drawings I have used a range of media and styles, however I ahve stuck to doing A4 drawings which looking back I wish I had varied size of drawings to get a different qaulity.

Minor Project

Hello, this blog is for me to document and show other people my work that I am doing in my final year at Uni!
This module is only 8 weeks long and is to experiment with different styles and techniques ready for my major project. I decided to do fashion fabrics but mainly for catwalk/haute couture, and my theme is Ballet Girl. Looking at ballet costumes, fabrics, the art of dance, the shows, animals, characters used, flowers and perios features used within the ballet like Rococco design.

For my research I started to look at classical ballet, like swan lake and the nutcracker and then on to the wind and the willows, and I was really interested with the creatures used like the foxes and squirrels, so I thought I should look into animals and see what inspiration I got from that.

During the holidays I went to Belgium where I managed to see some beautiful lace shops and photograph  them, I thought this would be perfect for me ballet fabric research as lace was used a lot.

I also went to the Bowes Museum In Bernard Castle, where they had a beautiful selection of period costumes and lace! As well as Rococo artifacts.

And Finally I looked at floral for my research, mainly roses and Lily's.

This my research for my project and I already have loads of ideas, but for now I need to start with my drawings. So keep watching to see what designs come up with!